Happy New Year! On June 20th, I went ahead and launched my blog, and it’s been just over six months since then. Time has flown!
First off, a recap of the past year. Sex toys were a huge part of my life in 2016. I first discovered them late in 2015, but this past year is when I really got into them. They’ve expanded the sexual experiences I have and given me something to geek over and get excited about. These are my top three toys of 2016:
- Best Vibe- The Magic Wand Rechargeable: I got this in March and it drastically changed my masturbating habits. It’s my old reliable, big, strong, best used through a couple of blankets, and lets me have orgasms while sitting in a chair. Definitely gets the most use out of all the toys I own.
- Best Dildo- Tantus Echo: This dildo was a birthday present to myself, and it’s my favorite G-spotter so far. Those ridges are firm, intense, require lots of warm-up, and make my G-spot do amazing things. Makes me come too soon, A+, would recommend.
- Best Kink- KinkCraft Mini Flogger: My partner prefers this flogger to our other impact toys because it’s so easy to wield. I love the little red welts it gives me. Also, I had lots of fun making it myself and it’s a pretty bright blue! It’s hard to beat that (pun totally intended.)
Besides sex toys, I wrote some stuff I’m really proud of this year. This blog is a space for me to talk about topics that are important to me, and to try to help others understand my perspective. Here are the top three posts in which I really feel like I achieved that:
- On Being in the Closet: I wrote this after the election, when I and a lot of my friends were terribly scared. People were talking a lot about hiding, and the closet, and I wanted to show why I never want to go back into the closet.
- I Didn’t Know They Were Called Orgasms: I grew up with very limited sex education, and it took me years to connect the concept of orgasm to a thing that actually happens to my body. I spent a long time feeling scared, confused, and wrong, and I want people to know that was a direct result of incomplete and biased education.
- On Self Care and Motivation: This is a deeply personal post about how I try to convince myself that I am worth taking care of. For me, self care is often really hard, and I think it’s okay to do odd things if they will help you feel better.
Second off, my goals and plans for 2017. I’m excited to dive even deeper into the world of sex toys. It feels like there’s still so much out there to explore, and that’s invigorating. These are three types of toys I want to play with this year:
- Larger Toys: Much of 2016 involved my journey from not being able to penetrate my vagina at all to being able to enjoy PIV sex with my current partner. I’m still fairly limited in the toys I use. I want to try larger butt plugs especially because my butt has proved itself to be much more accommodating to being stretched than my vagina, and I’d like to do more with that. Right now I’m maxing out at around 1.5″ diameter for both of those orifices, so I want to try toys that are 1.75″ (or maybe larger). Because I love soft silicone, I’ve got my eye on some larger dual density toys like the Tantus Uncut #1 and the Vixen Bandit.
- Kink Stuff: I’ve reviewed a few pieces of kink gear, and I own some that I have yet to review, but there’s so much I haven’t tried yet. I want to try more sensations. I know I love my flogger from KinkCraft and a good old fashioned open handed spanking, I don’t own a single paddle! I’d be very open to reviewing a few (or several) paddles in 2017. I’d love to try other floggers as well, and I think KinkCraft’s large flogger kit would be another cool project. As well as impact play, I’d be open to trying more bondage gear, other collars, or maybe wax play.
- Vibrators: The Magic Wand Rechargeable might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I’d really like to branch out a bit. I only own five vibrators, three of which are battery-operated and buzzy, so I never use them anymore. The only G-spot vibrator I’ve tried was cheap and had obnoxiously high pitched vibrations, and therefore a good G-spot vibe is right at the top of my list. Also, despite how prolific small clit vibes are, I don’t actually own any yet. I’m really hoping some vibes from WeVibe and L’amourose find their way into my toybox this year!
This is cheating the three things rule, but I also want to try wooden toys. It’s the only body safe material I haven’t gotten to yet, and I recently discovered Lumberjill Leisurecrafts’ work, which I find absolutely gorgeous. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I get to try a whole bunch of cool toys this year!
I also have some other ideas about and goals for the writing I want to do this year:
- More Personal Posts: There are several topics that I haven’t yet talked about on this blog that are important to me.I haven’t written much about being on the asexuality spectrum, or my daddy kink, or being a switch and dating a switch. I want to write about what being a little girl and a Mommy Domme means to me. I’ve written almost twice as many reviews as other kinds of posts, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, I don’t think I want to be a review-centric blog. I hope to find a better balance next year and keep my reviews down to half of my posts at most.
- More Content, More Regularly: My goal for 2017 is to write 36 solid posts that I’m proud of. To achieve that, I want to publish three posts a month, all year long. In the past six months, I’ve published 22 posts: 14 were reviews and 8 were personal thoughts. I’m pretty proud of that! I’m still just getting started as a blogger. I’m in college full time and I work part time, which means I have limited ability to write. That’s okay, I can still make good content, even if I’m not making huge amounts of it. I do want to get better at spreading my posts out, instead of lots of posts when I have time and very few posts when I’m busy.
- Have Fun! This blog is a labor of love. There’s no point to doing it if I’m not enjoying myself. I want to prioritize content that I enjoy and that I care about, learn about myself and my needs, and share my thoughts with the world. For all my goals and plans and structure, I still believe the most important part is that I continue enjoying and having fun with this weird awesome hobby that I’ve discovered. So if what makes me happy changes partway through the year, I hereby give myself permission to let my blog change with it.
What were your favorite toys this year? Got any goals and plans for 2017?